One of my favorite things to make as a quick side dish or even a snack (super random snack, I know) is couscous and peas. This is a super simple and easy recipe that can be made literally anytime. It requires only a single pan, so that is a plus! I would say it is also very budget friendly, as couscous and frozen veggies are both relatively cheap at any store.
I cook for myself and only myself like 90% of the time and this fact is reflected in the following recipe. If you want to make it for a larger group of people or just increase the quantity in general, the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled without consequence.
Serves: 1 (about 2 cups, cooked)
Time: 12 minutes total
1/2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked couscous
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Heavy pinch of salt
- In a small sauce pan, bring the 1/2 cup of water to a boil, on medium-high heat. Add a heavy pinch of salt, garlic and onion powder.
- Once boiling, add the couscous and stir it around to ensure that all the beads are wet. Remove the pan from heat (turn off the stove) and cover with a lid for 10 minutes. Make sure you do not open it.
- During this time, take the 1/2 cup of frozen peas and microwave them for 45 seconds. This step is optional. I usually do this because I eat mine right away and do not want cold peas.
- After the 10 minutes of sitting, remove the lid of the pan and fluff the couscous with a fork. Test a small bite to make sure that the couscous is fully cooked and tender. The last thing we want is crunchy couscous! If it is still a bit crunchy though, just put the lid back on and let it sit for a bit longer.
- Once the couscous is tender, add the peas to the pan and stir together.